The Humboldt Research Fellowship for researchers of all nationalities and research areas is funded by Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to support postdoctoral and experienced researchers with their research in Germany.
Through the Humboldt Research Fellowship, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation sponsors international researchers with excellent qualifications from around the world except for Germany. As a fellow and recipient of this scholarship, you will receive individual support from the Humboldt Foundation’s sponsorship.
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Germany Humboldt Research Fellowship For Postdoctoral And Experienced Researchers 2022/2023 is available to undertake Post Doctorate, Research level programs at Alexander von Humboldt foundation.
Additionally to the monthly fellowship rate of 2,500 EUR, the following benefits can be granted:
1. mobility lump sum as a subsidy for expenses in connection with necessary conference and research trips, archive and library stays, etc. in Germany and abroad;
2. subsidy towards the cost of medical and liability insurance;
3. lump sum for the fellow’s travel expenses if the costs are not borne by a third party;
4. Language fellowship for an intensive language course lasting two to four months at selected language institutes in Germany immediately prior to the actual period of research;
5. Language fellowships may also be granted to accompanying marital partners.
6. family allowances for accompanying family members staying at least three months
7. for single parents: flat-rate allowance for accompanying children (under the age of 18) for stays of at least three months;
8. additional extension of the fellowship up to 12 months for research fellows accompanied by children under the age of 12;
9. Europe allowance for a research stay at a research institute in another European country (though not the research fellow’s own country); for a designated period in the course of the fellowship if necessary to ensure the success of the research;
10. a subsidy towards research costs to be paid to the hosts in Germany amounting to 800 EUR per month (for research in the natural sciences and engineering) and 500 EUR (for research in the humanities and social sciences);
11. Extensive alumni sponsorship once a successful research stay has come to an end, especially for maintaining contacts with collaborative partners in Germany during the Humboldtian’s entire academic career.
All Nationalities except Germany
You must meet the following criteria
The Humboldt Research Fellowship addresses post-doctoral researchers with above-average qualifications from across the globe – regardless of their field.
Did you complete your doctorate – or equivalent academic qualification – during the last four years? Or are you within six months of completing your doctorate and can already provide a written summary of your findings? Have you been published in academic journals and by publishing houses that are reviewed according to international standards? If so, and if you fulfil the criteria under the “What is required of you” section, apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship for postdoctoral researchers.
Did you complete your doctorate – or equivalent academic qualification – during the last twelve years? Is your academic profile substantiated by an extensive list of publications in academic journals and by publishing houses that are reviewed according to international standards? If so, and if you fulfil the criteria under the “What is required of you” section, apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship for experienced researchers.
If a doctorate in your field or country of origin is not possible or uncommon, you can still apply up to 16 years after completing your master’s or other postgraduate degree provided that you have a publication record commensurate with your career level.
You must fulfil the following criteria to successfully apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship.
You are not a German national. If you are a German national, or if you obtained your university entrance qualification and university degree, or your university degree and your doctorate, in Germany, you can apply if you have lived and worked abroad for more than ten years and intend to continue doing so long-term. Have you lived and worked abroad for more than five years? You can still apply if there is a strong connection to your current country of residence (permanent employment, additional citizenship etc. – see FAQs).
For your application to be successful, you may not have lived in Germany for longer than a total of six months within the 18-month period prior to submitting your application.If you have arrived in Germany recently you should submit your application as soon as possible, as we can only assess your eligibility and formally accept your application after it has been submitted.
If you would like to apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship, please submit the necessary documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
What we need from you
Please note that you may only submit your application once you have uploaded the following documents in the application form: